[Asterisk-Users] Sangoma VS. Digium

Craig Guy cguy at bigpond.net.au
Sat Apr 9 02:24:57 MST 2005

Yes the digium cards are relatively cheap compared to traditional telephony
cards.  A four port Eicon BRI card costs as much as the digium 4 port E1 so
on a per channel basis (8 vs 120) the digium is very reasonable.  Must think
in terms of bang for buck before opening mouth next time.

As for the server, well it is a case of the appropriate tool for the job,
there is no SLA requirement for redundant power supply, raid, multiple
CPU's, uber expensive reg ECC ram etc for the local servers in this
particular application.  The 750's are cheap enough to treat as disposable
and I can get two of them for less than the cost of a redundant 1850, giving
me a hot swap spare at each site.

The central server will probably end up around the 5 digits mark and it'll
have all the fruit, although personally I believe that reg ECC sdram is
nothing more than a huge rort.

Craig