[Asterisk-Users] Convertnig from Norstar to * to save money

Kris Boutilier Kris.Boutilier at scrd.bc.ca
Fri Apr 8 20:50:25 MST 2005

I would suggest that there is also a strong case to be made for using * to add the extra brains to an existing Norstar system, especially if you have a larger Norstar deployment or _heavily_ entrenched users.

We now have a fairly successful deployment using four Asterisk machines acting as 1xPRI-PSTN and 3xPRI-CPE gateways to present three seperate Norstar locations as a single universal dialplan, transported via IAX. The trick is to think like a of Asterisk as a private PSTN (ie. the PRI-NET side) and then build everything in using extention numbers (as a form of for vertical service code) and ditch the obsolete 'feature' codes concept Nortel use for Voicemail and so on.

However, if you're only serving one unexpanded MICS KSU then ditching it may be more realistic.

:-)

Kris Boutilier
Information Systems Coordinatior
Sunshine Coast Regional District