[Asterisk-Users] Re: codec translation hints

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 12:32:58 MST 2005

On Apr 8, 2005 12:22 PM, snacktime <snacktime at gmail.com> wrote:
> So far it seems that the major thing affecting voice quality on my *
> box is codec translation.   How much cpu is required to translate even
> a single channel without getting static like sounds or other obvious
> translation issues?  I know this probably depends on the codecs
> involved, but are there any general guidelines to follow?
>
> Chris

One more question.  I've been trying to figure out the best
combination of codecs to use.    So far it seems that g729 is the low
bandwidth codec most widely supported.  gsm seems to be supported by
providers but not by sip devices.  g726 the opposite.  I'm thinking it
might be worth it to just pay digium to license g729 and record all
our own voice prompts.  Having the g729 license will enable us to
record files in g729 format correct?

Chris