[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Google Group?

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri Apr 8 10:54:33 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 10:17 -0600, Damon Estep wrote:
> > What I'm still wondering about is, while you can post to that group,
> > whether your postings are actually propagated to this list. Did
> anybody
> > try that?
> >
> > Regards, Bruno.

> Postings to google are not mirrored here, tried it. I think we are going
> to start seeing many people new to * using the google group and not
> getting the benefit of the infinite wisdom here.

They will if google keeps getting the content from this list.  The
problem would be that people on a google group say something that may
help people here and we dont see it.

I have a problem with what happened last night in relation to the google
groups.  Google sent out emails to a couple different lists I am on (and
an unknown quantity of lists I am not on) saying that the list is not
subscribed to google groups.  This is blatent spam from a company I used
to respect and like.

Googles refusal to fix the 302 redirect problem which has caused their
search results to be less accurate and now basically hijacking mailing
lists on a one sided basis is further cause for concern.  By feeding the
content of lists into their database to get people to goto their webpage
and start threads there that are not shared with the list means its a
fork of the list and creates less info sharing.  Its a good idea that
was poorly implemented.

> I can not imagine how you would sync them, that would only result in a
> circular posting nightmare.
to the list or they wouldnt be able to get them.  Well not obviously,
they could be going to gmane or other mail -> NNTP services that already
exist.

If google did subscribe to the list to get content from the list, they
could easily post to the list as well.  Although authentication may be
an issue if a list is 'closed' and google tries to insert the email
address supplied via their webpage.

Regardless google could easily filter it so it only sends to the list
what is entered via a webpage and not everything it gets in its 'inbox'.
That would be an ideal solution so there is effectively not two
repositories of information, one on google and the list which would
effectively a subset of the information on their list.

I do have some other issues with google groups, right after Sept 11,
2001 google decided to delete many posts that were in their groups.
These were '911 propechy posts'.  If they will delete for that reason,
and keep it silent that they did it as well as why, what would prevent
them from say not putting this post up because its not in googles best
interest?  What would prevent them from putting up other posts that have
valid information in them just because google does not want people to be
able to see the information?

But now I am just ranting and I have to fix the ram in this system so I
will leave this issue alone.

--
Trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com