[Asterisk-Users] Channel bank replacement

Peter Hoppe peter at radioworldwide.org
Fri Apr 8 10:22:42 MST 2005

Thank you so much for your answers already, I really appreciate it!

I have looked into using an Adtran Total Access 750 platform instead,
but got away from that idea after I saw the totally confusing amount of
options of different modules I can buy. The Adit 600 seemed so much
simpler to put together. Also, the Adit 600 had such an excellent
appraisal in the asterisk voip-info - see

http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk%20Channel%20Bank

But maybe I need to come back to the Adtran TA750. Unfortunately that
platform seems to only offer 24 fxs ports per unit and I need to buy an
expensive T1 card. I would buy the Digium T1 card - it seems that it is
by far the least expensive card, but $500 is still something. That's why
I toyed with the Adit 600 plus cmg card - all I need is a standard
network card on the Asterisk machine.

We have sorely abandoned the idea of using an extensive amount of voip
phones on the property, as we are not a homogenous office setup (ppl
also live on the property).
This solution would mean
* putting in an entire new cat5 network. I would be the person who would
have to put it all in place - When would I be finished? In 2 years? 4
years? 10 years?
* lots of admin hassle to enable all the phones / add new phones /
remove phones
* users can't easily extend stations at end points. With two wire phone
they simply switch one parallel to the existing one - no admin hassle /
extra hubs etc.
* two wire technology enables us to buy almost any phone available.
* security concerns with the SIP protocol. See
http://secunia.com/advisories/8169/ as an example
* users potentially plugging their laptops into the voip sockets and
browsing/downloading away => lots of setup/admin hassle with the
firewall (how do you block Kazaa?)
* Phones potentially breaking when users unplug power during firmware
download. For example, this is an issue with the Grandstream phone.

The only alternative that seems feasible at the moment would be

* a different channel bank than the adit 600 or

* a voip gateway that multiplexes many fxs ports into one ethernet
connection. But before I would go down that route I would have to be
absolutely sure that the SIP conforms to the standard, the upgrades are
free and the fxs ports are compatible with uk standard two wire phones.
I found that some two wire phones actually use 4 wires - confusing

* a bank of ATAs (handytone 286 or similar). I *really* don't like that
solution, as it is a bad botch job and throws lots of issues like which
REN they have, many power supplies (or one big one). I really ought to
be red in the face for even mentioning that solution. But if nothing
else is available, I would probably have to buy them in bulk, take the
boards out and mount them in a 19'' box together with a hub so I build
my own voip gateway :) maybe it's not so botch after all :) )

For connection to the PSTN: We have three BT lines, and again, we would
not like to move over to a different technology like ISDN. The lines
work for us, and 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. We would use three
Sipura SPA-3000 interfaces to connect them to the internal network. The
SPA-3000 is sold in the UK and has the CE approval, so it should legally
be ok. I am experimenting with one unit at the moment, and am smacked by
the literally hundreds of options it has. But I heard good reports about
that one, so I expect it to work well in our setting.