[Asterisk-Users] Sangoma VS. Digium

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Apr 7 11:25:04 MST 2005

On April 7, 2005 01:53 pm, Craig Guy wrote:
> the server they're going into (Dell poweredge 750's).  When a GPL'd
> hardware design costs more than an entire proprietary server (including
> chassis, motherboard, dual hard disks and remote access card) then there is
> something very wrong in the market.  I do not possibly see how a quarter
> length PCI card should cost more than an entire rack mount server.  IMHO

First off, the TExxxP cards are not GPL.
Second, it's all economies of scale.  How many Dell Poweredge 750s does Dell
sell a MONTH compared to how many TExxxPs Digium sells in a year?

There's nothing "wrong" with it; Digium is charging what they believe the
market will bear.  That's capitalism.  If you can do it cheaper, do it and
make a fortune.  I know MANY PCI boards which are upwards of several dozen
thousand dollars.  Again, they are charging what the market will bear.

Now granted, high-end signal processing and acquisition cards are a slightly
different market than what you're talking about.  :-)

-A.