[Asterisk-Users] Sangoma VS. Digium

Craig Guy cguy at bigpond.net.au
Thu Apr 7 10:53:24 MST 2005

[rant]
I wish my local reseller would 'dump' the product, or at least offer it
cheaper without support.  The digium PRI cards IMHO are way too expensive
for those of us who are familiar with them and are only interested in
warranty support.  I will probably soon be buying another 5 of them and
spending over $A10,000 in the process.  The cards are more expensive than
the server they're going into (Dell poweredge 750's).  When a GPL'd hardware
design costs more than an entire proprietary server (including  chassis,
motherboard, dual hard disks and remote access card) then there is something
very wrong in the market.  I do not possibly see how a quarter length PCI
card should cost more than an entire rack mount server.  IMHO bring on the
competition, Asterisk should divorce itself from Digium, the sooner the
better.  Asterisk is a software product and should stand alone and not be
subsidised by the hardware.  Marks salary should come from selling trainig
and Asterisk support services, not hardware.  If Digium gets money from
selling Digum hardware, where then is the incentive for Asterisk to support
alternative hardware (BRI for example).  Imagine if Linus was employed by
Intel, Linux would only be an empty shell of its current self with no
support for embedded platforms, Motorola CPU's, WRT54G's, etc.
[/rant]

Craig