[Asterisk-Users] MWI for SER and Asterisk - ast_data vs "realtime"

Matthew Boehm mboehm at cytelcom.com
Thu Apr 7 06:33:11 MST 2005

Matthew Boehm wrote:
>> Bug 002980 contains a patch that delivers MWI from Asterisk to SIP
>> clients registered with SER. It requires ast_data which doesn't
>> patch the current CVS HEAD. Since I need MWI and I want Asterisk and
>> SER to store data in a shared database I could:
>> - use an old version of Asterisk and install ast_data. The patch
>> author runs a large-scale clustered SER/Asterisk environment and
>> believes ast_data to be superior to "realtime". However "realtime"
>> may now have developed to the point that these objections are no
>> longer relevant. Specific problems still seem to be SIP clients
>> behind NAT and voicemail notifications (both very important to me)
>> - use realtime and write something that gives me the functionality
>> required and hope that the NAT and voicemail issues get fixed soon.
>> Apart from it being a pain to write this I also have not heard of
>> anyone using SER + Asterisk "realtime" in a large-scale production
>> environment. If anyone has had any such successes it would be good
>> to know about them.

Umm..did you not read that whole bug report? This patch is not stable
and not very good. It is currently being worked on by Mark. It should
not contain anything related to ast_data so you might as well remove
this patch and wait for a better version from Mark.

ast_data is replaced by ARA (Asterisk RealTime Architecture). That is
why you can't compile ast_data on HEAD.

 ARA has fixed the NAT/MWI issues by using RTC (RealTime Cache).

 -Matthew