[Asterisk-Users] RE: Digium ISDN card

Scott Stingel scott at evtmedia.com
Tue Apr 5 18:37:32 MST 2005

(thread moved from asterisk-dev)

Hello Wai-

You can find out a lot about the digium cards and asterisk software on
the "Wiki", which is at:

http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk

Briefly, though, asterisk implements things like DTMF and voice
detection using the host processor's hardware/software.  This makes the
cost of the interface card much lower than, say, a Dialogic, but limits
to some extent the number of channels you can handle with one processor.

With the size of the processor you mentioned, for most applications you
could probably handle between 3 and 4 full E1 spans, but heavy
transcoding might cut that number down somewhat.  Test before you commit!

Hope this gets you started.

Regards
Scott Stingel

www.evtmedia.com