[Asterisk-Users] FGD Support

James Taylor jltaylor at metrotel.net
Mon Apr 4 09:42:46 MST 2005

For those of you who want to look like a "real" phone company, and plan on
connecting to the LEC so that you look like a long distance carrier
instead of a customer, there are some mods to the ZAP channel which must
be made.

When you order Feature Group D as a "customer" Asterisk works fine right
now.

If you order Feature Group D and want to provide service as a IC or IXC
(long distance carrier) and provide Equal Access, you must "look" like an
Equal Access End Office (EAEO).  To do this, there is an additional packet
that must be exchanged and acknowledged in the dialing sequence.

I have submitted a request to Digium for a quote on this modification.

Jason Miller at interlinc.net has added his spport to this project,
because he needs it working yesterday.

If you have an interest and would like to assist in getting this
modification off the ground and completed quickly, then you might want to
contribute financially.

If you have an interest and can't contribute, we'd still like to hear from
you and know that this feature might help you.

Contact me off list if you can help.

James Taylor
MetroTel
3505 Summerihll Road
Suite 11
Texarkana, Texas  75503
903-793-1956

Below is a copy of my email to Digium:

This is a requst to modify the Zap channel to provide additional FGD
support.

Please let me know what the charges will be, so we can get approval and
get started.

As more and more Asterisk boxes connect to the PSTN, there is a need to
look like an IXC or CLEC.
Short of SS7, MF signaling with FGD is the next best thing.

I'm woking with Jason Miller, who has sent in other support requests on
getting FGD to work.

I've examined the source code and it appears that FGD works fine if you
connect to a long distance carrier.

But, if you "are" the long distance carrier and connect via the LEC's
Access Tandem, there's another packet that must be exchanged.  We've tried
putting it in the dial command and can't get the timing to work since
there are additonal winks.

Asterisk really looks like an Equal Access End Office at this point.

The exchange below illustrates overlap dialing, which is not generally
going to happen with Asterisk.
Asterisk will have all customer digits and just fake the overlap.

Here's what takes place:

Customer -->  Asterisk -->  Access Tandem (LEC) --> IC (long distance
carrier)

Origionating Sequence

Customer dials (10xxxx)+(0/1)+(NPA)+NXX
Asterisk				Access Tandem		IC