[Asterisk-Users] Re: Are there online forums instead of, this email

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Sun Apr 3 00:03:24 MST 2005

>  1. Support for message threads - replies to messages are shown right
> below the original message.

Any decent mailer has that functionality.

> 2. Support for subject matter sub forums - different message
> categories can be established.

You just split the list into differents mailing lists and you're done.

> 3. Built in search engine - messages relevant to the problem you are
> working on can easily be located.

You can either use your mailer search functionality on your existing
archives or google on the web archives.

> 4. Moderated forums - postings and discussions can easily be
> supervised. Trouble makers can be banned from posting.

I'm grown up enough to deal with trouble makers myself. I don't want
some daddy to decide what's good for me and what's not. Thanks.

(besides, mailing lists can be moderated too so this point is moot. You
*really* should learn more about mailman...)

> I have been involved in supporting another Linux based product for
> more than a year now via a proper web based support BBS setup, and it
> is a far superior approach to the Asterisk mailing list dump that this
> memo will end up in.

If you use digests, then you will get all messages in a big lumpy file.
Don't use them, that's all. Again, you clearly show that you don't know
squat about mailing lists.

> Take a good look at:
>
> http://www.astaro.org

It's a typical table based, invalid HTML, unusable, inaccessible web
forum. It's just so nineties... thanks for making my point. My mail user
agent provides a better interface than this website. If you can't
understand why, maybe you should learn more about email and mailing lists...

* I have an asterisk subfolder which I call "useful" where I move
messages which I find useful. Does your web thingy do that?

* I can go away for two weeks and see quickly messages which are read
and messages which aren't. Does your web thingy do that?

* I can manage multiple mailing list through a single, simple,
consistent interface - without having to remember different usernames /
passwords. Does your web thingy do that?

> This is the support BBS for Astaro Security Linux, a hardened Linux
> firewall distribution that delivers around 80% of the features of
> CheckPoint Software's Firewall-1, but at 20% of the cost. And they
> give away free licenses for non-commercial home use. Their support BBS
> currently has more than 9000 registered users.

I use firehol. I have 100% of the firewall functionality I've got for
zero cost. And they have a mailing list too :)

> It would do Digium well to establish a similar BBS, since it would
> dramatically ease the support issues for the membership. Running a web
> based BBS forum is not particularly load intensive, even if it ends up
> having many thousands of registered users.

Well maybe a web forum thingy would be good for people who buy support
from digium. But even in the case of paid support, I think email
combined with "RT" (request tracker) makes a superior product.

Regards,

--
Ykoz Un Max - La VoIP en pré-payé!
Essayez gratuitement - 5 crédits offerts.