[Asterisk-Users] Re: Are there online forums instead of, this email

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sat Apr 2 18:01:43 MST 2005

On April 2, 2005 07:30 pm, Tore Hansen wrote:
> Having read a number of mailing list memos on this subject, there is
> much to be said for having a proper support forum BBS, rather than
> getting an awkward long memo with a string of messages every 3 to 5 hours.

"awkward long memo with a string of messages" ?? don't use digests.  They're
evil.

>   1. Support for message threads - replies to messages are shown right
> below the original message.
>
> 2. Support for subject matter sub forums - different message categories
> can be established.
>
> 3. Built in search engine - messages relevant to the problem you are
> working on can easily be located.
>
> 4. Moderated forums - postings and discussions can easily be supervised.
> Trouble makers can be banned from posting.

With the exception to #3 there is nothing you've mentioned that a mailing list
doesn't already do.  And #4 I don't see as an advantage at all, as has been
discussed ad nauseam in this thread already.

> It would do Digium well to establish a similar BBS, since it would
> dramatically ease the support issues for the membership. Running a web
> based BBS forum is not particularly load intensive, even if it ends up
> having many thousands of registered users.

And it has all the problems we've already discussed on this list many times.
You've not given any example of how to overcome any of them.

> Since Asterisk is here to stay, why not get serious about the support,
> and do it right?

As we've said many times already...  You go do it.  If it's truly that much
better, the subscribers will flock to them.  There have been numerous
attempts over the last few years but the list still persists.

I really, *really* wish that the forum people would see that.  The forums that
have been attempted must be missing *something* for them to fail.  What is
it?  I believe it's the sheer simplicity, clarity, offline capabilities and
semi-decentralized nature that keeps it strong.  But hey, feel free to prove
me wrong.  Competition's healthy.

-A.