[Asterisk-Users] Book Review: VoIP Telephony with Asterisk

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Sat Apr 2 15:23:46 MST 2005

Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:

> Kerry Garrison wrote:
>
>> The book bills itself as a beginner's guide to Asterisk and Voice
>> over IP (VoIP). Even with over 270 pages, it isn't possible to go
>> through every single feature that Asterisk has to offer but the book
>> does give enough information to get you started and even apply a few
>> advanced features to your phone system. For those of you not familiar
>> with Asterisk, VoIP, or PBX's we will need a little bit of background
>> for you to know if this book is for you.
>> http://www.geekgazette.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23&Itemid=26
>> <http://www.geekgazette.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23&Itemid=26>
>>

> I don't know if you've read the book. I have it on my desk right now
> and it suffers from out of date information, lack of structure, lack
> of progression. I felt that the book is mostly just a clunky bunch of
> recipies patched together.

Agreed It seems to mostly be a rehash of the early Asterisk
documentation, with only a few tidbits that I had not found elsewhere.
Certainly not worth it's high pricetag either.

Keeping up with such a moving target is indeed a difficult task for ANY
printed book.
Digium's  published work is at least worth the price!

John N