[Asterisk-Users] VoIP Provider problems

Johnathan Corgan jcorgan at aeinet.com
Sat Apr 2 06:53:04 MST 2005

Bob Goddard wrote:

> The apparent packet loss you are seeing may be just fine tuning
> of the routers in question.

This is the conclusion I came to as well; however, with the way
PingPlotter works the router is not sending ICMP unreachables but rather
ICMP TTL expired responses.  In any case, the routers in question may
either be:

1) ...intentionally discarding the received UDP "ping" packets (these
are not ICMP pings, but rather UDP packets with TTL down to zero when
they get to the router), because the router has better things to do.

2) ...throttling the ICMP TTL expired responses to a certain rate per
period of time, as you suggest.  This would appear as packet loss.

3) ...actually congested, with the received UDP "pings" (and other types
of packets) getting discarded on the input side at the rate shown in the
data.

I wish there was a way to measure 3) without being affected by 1) and 2).

I agree then, that PingPlotter is not a highly accurate way to measure
path quality.  Still, though, looking over the data for a couple days
now it is easy to see cyclical patterns that go from 1% to 30%
(PingPlotter measured) loss, and an easily seen correlation with the
voice quality of my outbound Broadvoice calls.

Interestingly enough, switching from a Firefly soft phone on my
workstation, using IAX2/ulaw, to an analog phone->TDM400 FXS port right
at the Asterisk server has made a big difference.  So some of the
perceived crappiness was in the soft phone->Asterisk path and was
probably being exacerbated by the network loss on the net or at
Broadvoice's router.

-Johnathan