[Asterisk-Users] VoIP Provider problems

Bob Goddard asterisk at bgcomp.co.uk
Sat Apr 2 06:05:02 MST 2005

On Friday 01 April 2005 04:28, Joseph Gutowski wrote:
> Ok, since I guess no one else wanted to bite -- I will.
>
> I installed PingPlotter, switched to UDP just to be the same as you,
> and ran it against sip.broadvoice.com. Absolutley no problems, no
> packet loss at all.
>
> Ran it with all of the published proxy addresses, again no problems.
>
> I then used the 63.251.209.126 that you posted, and it was awful (at
> least it appears awful). I have reliable 20% packet loss at each of
> two Verio hops (nothing lost at the far end).

Don't take this the wrong way, but you are showing a bit of
ignorance about how TCP/IP works.

The apparent packet loss you are seeing may be just fine tuning
of the routers in question.

The routers may be set up not to send ICMP host/network
unreachables back to the originating system if they are
required to send more than one in a configured time period.

Routers have better things to do than continually tell you
that a host is unreachable.