[Asterisk-Users] Q.931 to SIGTRAN interface

Mike Mueller mmueller at ss7box.com
Fri Apr 1 19:11:38 MST 2005

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 05:32:43PM -0500, Race Vanderdecken wrote:
> Thanks Mike,
>
> 	I am getting letters from Europe for doing ISUP first, after the
> D-Channel and LDAP are working.

LDAP or LAPD?

If LAPD, then it would be best to avoid that protocol.  It's another
level 2 protocol chewing up CPU cycles.  Putting a socket on the south
end of Q.931 is more appealing.

> 	Another suggestion has been to create Asterisk as an SG for
> other asterisk boxes their by taking load off the Asterisk backend farm.

More info please.

> 	But I think it should run on a single box for the little guys
> too.
>
> 	The plan is to make the interfaces use sockets to communicate so
> that the processes can be migrated off the box if that is needed.
>
> 	Remember that Linux can do local host sockets that don't climb
> the entire stack so the performance penalty is not that great compared
> to the feature set of using sockets.

I don't think an Asterisk box can generate enough calls to cause sockets
related performance penalties.  Five packets per phone call.  What's the
max call rate an Asterisk box can support?

--
Mike