[Asterisk-Users] Re: Snom and Multiple calls

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Fri Apr 1 12:34:53 MST 2005

>> The vast majority of our handsets are Polycoms.  I know that they do
>> this correctly (with a little help from CheckGroup/SetGroup and
>> multiple SIP registrations).  Of course, you can't get the nifty
>> sidecar for the Polycoms like you can for the 220.  You can get a
>> sidecar for the Cisco 7960, though, and they can do multiple lines,
>> correctly, too.
>
> The Cisco phones don't do presence in SIP mode or "hot keypad" (plus
> I'm not especially fond of the interface).  The Polycom does presence,
> and very nearly does hot keypad, but I get more information about
> Polycom's plans from my cat than I do from Polycom, and that worries
> me.  Every part of the GXP-2000 needs to weigh more (plus the firmware
> on the one we had a chance to eval was clearly not done cooking yet).
> Don't even mention Mitel.  :)  Nothing has the number of sidecar
> buttons we want.  The Snom really is the closest on all fronts (at
> least it is now that we've got a 360 and it fixes the case design
> issues we had with the 220).

Just so you know, I don't think anybody has gotten the Polycom presence
features to work properly with Asterisk.  Am I wrong, anybody?

To implement most of the functionality your mention, we chose to use
FOP, and I've been very satisfied with it.  It's not the same as
pushing buttons on a phone, but you get used to it pretty quickly, and
the set of features is unmatched on any phone.