[Asterisk-Users] Voicemail Email Bouncing - SOLVED

Hadar Pedhazur hadar at unorthodox.com
Fri Apr 1 10:16:12 MST 2005

Hadar Pedhazur wrote:
> I have been using Asterisk for a couple of years now. I recently
> upgraded to CVS HEAD (March 9, 2005). Independently (and
> perhaps this is the problem) I also upgraded from Postfix
> 2.0.16 to 2.2.1.
>
> Anyway, I just realized this morning that I have not been
> getting emails when someone leaves me voicemail. The voicemail
> gets recorded correctly, and gets emailed as well. However, the
> email bounces with the following in /var/log/messages:
>
> Apr  1 10:05:05 zc postfix/pickup[2629]: C73021F8013: uid=0
> from=<root>
> Apr  1 10:05:05 zc postfix/cleanup[2605]: C73021F8013:
> message-id=<Asterisk-0-55
> 8071475-100-2672 at xx.yyyyyyyy.com>
> Apr  1 10:05:06 zc postfix/cleanup[2605]: C73021F8013:
> to=<unknown>, relay=none,
>  delay=1, status=bounced (No recipients specified)
>
> My spam filter is tossing the bounce, which is another reason
> why I didn't notice it for this long. However, one message made
> it through, and in the attachment to the bounce, the email was
> addressed correctly (the right "To:" from voicemail.conf, and
> the correct default "From:" address as well).
>
> To repeat, this could be a Postfix config error, since that
> changed in between too, and not necessarily an Asterisk problem.
>
> What I'd really like to know is whether there are debugging
> options I can turn on at the Asterisk level to see exactly what
> is being sent to Postfix, so that I can clearly rule out one of
> them as the cause of the problem.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Responding to my own post, to save people the time to track this down.
It was a Postfix problem, not an Asterisk one. The fix was to add a
"mailcmd" in the general context as follows:

mailcmd=/usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix -t -oi

The "-oi" is probably unnecessary, but the addition of the ".postfix"
is what did the trick.