[Asterisk-Users] Re: Livevoip still no DTMF?

Joel Jn-Francois joel at caribtrade.com
Fri Apr 1 10:06:27 MST 2005

> > I read in the archives a number of discussions about livevoip, DID,
> > and DTMF not working.
> >
> > However, no resolutions.
> >
> > I just setup a livevoip DID and indeed the DTMF does not work.
> >
> > The same asterisk context works via broadvoice and via
> > direct dialing in to the asterisk server via SIP.
> >
> > Just no DTMF with calls via livevoip.
> >
> > I'm running Asterisk CVS-v1-0-03/06/05-23:15:12
>
>Its been working fine here for about a month now. Currently using
>CVS-HEAD-03/31/05, however it worked fine with several previous
>cvs-head versions as well.

>Below are the pieces I'm using for incoming calls. Might want to
>review and compare to whatever you're using. The iax.conf section
>is a very basic type=user with a context referring incoming calls
>to the liveviop800 section of extensions.conf shown below.
>
>[livevoip800]
>include=>bus-ivr-main
>exten=>8001234567,1,Dial(${PHONE6}&${PHONE7},10)
>exten=>8001234567,2,Goto(bus-ivr-main|s|1)
>
>[bus-ivr-main]
>exten => s,1,Wait,1
>exten => s,2,Answer
>exten => s,3,DigitTimeout,5
>exten => s,4,ResponseTimeout,20
>exten => s,5,Background(npi-greeting)  ; "Thanks for calling press 1 for"

This DTMF and livevoip issue seems quite interesting and really mystifies
me. The fact that some livevoip customers have this issue and others don't,
makes this all the more confusing.  I love livevoip service and support, I
think they are great, but this one issue is creating a nightmare for me
during.

I am currently testing a calling card asterisk application I developed.  I
have about 30 people presently testing the system for me and the DTMF issue
has been everyone's main complaint.  It's either the pin number which they
know they entered correctly is wrong, or the destination number is
invalid.  Sometimes we get someone on the other line that we did not
call.   I am really scared of the ramification if I proceed with the
launching of this service before this issue is resolved.

If Livevoip cannot seem to resolve this problem on their own, is there any
way that we can put our heads together and get to the bottom of this
problem?  I am not only referring to those who are experiencing this
problem, but also to those who have a similar setup and have not
encountered this problem.  We can compare our settings and any thing else
we have noticed during testing.  I am going to get the ball rolling.

Here is a summary of what I am doing:

I developed an asterisk calling card application written in C.  This
application simply prompts for a PIN number, checks to see if the PIN
number is valid and whether there are sufficient funds to place a call.  If
there are sufficient funds the application would then prompt for the
destination number. At least 30%-50% of the time (can be more sometimes),
one or both of these prompts would be wrong.  Yesterday was a frustrating
day for me.  After switching over my DIDs from IAX to SIP with the hope
that this may resolve the problem, I was still consistently able to
duplicate the problem.  I would immediately switch to a different DID
provider and get through 100% of the time without any DTMF issues.

Here is a list of things I have setup, what I am doing and what I have
noticed trying to troubleshoot this problem.

1. I am using a stable version of asterisk CVS-v1-0-03/26/05-16:54:47.

2. I have tested this problem on CVS-HEAD-03/10/05 and CVS-HEAD-03/26/05
and I am able to duplicate the problem every time.

3. I am using 1800 DID numbers from LiveVOIP.

4. I am using local DID numbers from SixTel

5. I do NOT use any DTMF settings in IAX.conf nor SIP.conf

6. I am using ast_app_getdata to play the requested prompt and store the
number entered into a variable. I would then display the content of that
variable in asterisk command line so that I know exactly what values the
system is receiving and compare it to what was entered.
      Eg. For the PIN Number: reslt = ast_app_getdata(channel, pinprompt,
pinnum, 10,0);
            For the Destination number: reslt = ast_app_getdata(channel,
destprompt, destinationno, 16,0);

7. I think (not 100% sure) that the default DigitTimeout is 6 seconds and
the default ResponseTime is 12 seconds for the ast_app_getdata.

8. When getting data for the PIN number and the destination number I have
noticed the DTMF issue is more consistent with the destination number
rather than the PIN number.  My assumption is that the PIN number is always
10 digits, so there is no pause after the last digit has been
entered.  Once the system gets 10 digits, it proceeds to the next step
ignoring any other digits that may have been received by the system.

There is no fixed length for phone numbers; therefore, depending on where
you are calling, the length of the phone number tends to vary.  After
entering a 10 digit number the system may receive added data making the
number invalid.

9.  When I take a look at the content of the variables compared with the
digits entered, the problem is either one of two things:
A. Double digits in the number, eg. 4076831234 might be 40076831234 or
40776831234 etc.
B.  Some of the numbers spill over into the next prompt for data.

10. You can call using a local number from Sixtel or a 1800 number from
LiveVOIP.  We presently do NOT experience any problems with our local DID
numbers from Sixtel.

11. The problem happens on both IAX and SIP based DID service.

Thanks everyone, that's all I have for now. I really hope we can resolve this.