[Asterisk-Users] Re: Polycom sound quality problems

Eric Mason list-asterisk at m0t.net
Fri Apr 1 09:21:49 MST 2005

I don't see any way to tell the Polycom to "ignore" QoS.  It's mainly
routers and switches that pay attention to QoS, the phone would just set
QoS on its outgoing packets.  Anyway, here's what's in the QoS section-
it all seems to be related to sending packets:

QoS
RTP
802.1Q User Priority

IP ToS Minimize Delay
	Enabled Disabled
IP ToS Maximize Throughput
	Enabled Disabled
IP ToS Maximize Reliability
	Enabled Disabled
IP ToS Minimize Cost
	Enabled Disabled
IP ToS Precedence

Call Control
802.1Q User Priority

IP ToS Minimize Delay
	Enabled Disabled
IP ToS Maximize Throughput
	Enabled Disabled
IP ToS Maximize Reliability
	Enabled Disabled
IP ToS Minimize Cost
	Enabled Disabled
IP ToS Precedence

Other Protocols
802.1Q User Priority

The problem is not that it's choppy or breaks up.  Asterisk is connected
to the phone through two 100mbit switches, so throughput isn't a
problem.  It just sounds very distorted, like a cross between a robot
and Donald Duck.

It really seems to be a problem with the way Asterisk is bridging the
call from IAX to the phone.  It does SIP <-> SIP bridges (not
reinviting) just fine.