[Asterisk-Users] Re: Are there online forums instead ofthisemailforum??

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri Apr 1 07:23:16 MST 2005

On April 1, 2005 09:14 am, Tim Bass wrote:
> (2)  When you registered (if you registered two years ago, for example, you
> receive mail in a large list before someone, say, who registered a month
> ago);

You really have very little understanding of mailing list technology.  Please,
do some basic research into how various lists work, including mailman, before
posting this incorrect tripe.

> During peak times on this list, people who have recently registered have a
> one hour lag time to receive messages and it has little to do with ISPs,
> etc.

The lag varies with time of day and other factors but you are correct, it
typically has very little to do with the end-user ISPs.

> Some simple math. (not completely accurate) ........ If there are 2000
> people on the list and it takes 2 seconds to deliver a message, and you are
> at the end of the list, then it will take 1000 seconds to get mail, or 15
> minutes to get mail.    If any network congestion, then it could take an
> hour for some people at the end of the list (which you will not see if you
> are at the first of the list).

Again, a modicum of basic research is expected to participate in this list.
Two seconds to deliver a message?  Maybe on my father's Altair.  Digium just
needs some bigger hardware and maybe a fatter pipe, or even better, a few
list relays.  This is actually a nifty use of multicast, which is a pity it
didn't take off.

-A.