[Asterisk-Users] FXO/FXS card

Thu Sep 30 20:04:16 MST 2004

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:39:37 -0700, Geoff Nordli <geoffn at gnaa.net> wrote:

> > I think you're talking about the Voicetronix 12 port. Voicetronix says
> > it works with Asterisk but I never tried myself.
>
> Does anyone actually use this card in Asterisk.

Yes. We have customers who use Voicetronix cards with Asterisk (but for FXO).

> For some reason I don't get
> a warm fuzzy feeling about their Asterisk support.

And why is that? Have you been talking to them lately? They have a
developer who is solely charged with Asterisk support and whilst they
are not as devoted as Digium of course, they are much more committed
to Asterisk than pretty much any other third party vendor out there.

> I think Digium should look at filling this market segment.

I think the more third party hardware vendors support Asterisk and
Zaptel the better. Digium have already got all their hands full with
the stuff they are doing now. We shouldn't be asking too much of them.
Let them focus on what they are doing and let them do that well.

> The quote I got from a distributor in Canada was about 1500 US$ for the 12
> port.  So it makes it cheaper to go with the TDM4xx cards, but then you have
> the IRQ sharing and other problems that seem to exist when you try adding a
> bunch to a system.

Don't use Toyz-R-Intels then. Use a Mac with LinuxPPC and you avoid
the IRQ and hardware issues that plague the x86 architecture.

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.