[Asterisk-Users] OT (maybe?) : TI - PRI Question

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Thu Sep 30 17:52:27 MST 2004

--On Thursday, September 30, 2004 17:49 -0500 Steve Maroney
<steve at stevenet.net> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> Im new to the telecom industry and I am having a hard time understanding
> the differences between a voice T1 and a PRI line ? I was taught by a
> friend that I met on this list that a voice T1 provides all 24
> channels for voice and/or data and uses inband signalling. PRI uses 1
> channel for signalling and leaves the other 23 channels for either voice
> or data.
>
> This makes sense but how else does T1 compare/contrast to a PRI ?

ISDN PRI does travel on a T1 circuit.  The 'T1' your friend is talking
about is called DSS or 'E&M' T1 service.  It's exactly the same as taking
24 analog phone lines, and putting them on a digital transport.  You may
also get some inband signalling options for DID information, but often
times this isn't offered.  DSS service is usually only slightly cheaper
than an ISDN PRI, and you don't get any control over CID information with
DSS.  With PRI you can set the outgoing CID information (important if you
don't want your non-trunk DIDs exposed)

> Doesn't a T1 carry the PRI signal(such as UDP over IP) ?
> Does the T1 cards from digium support both voice T1's and PRI lines ?
> What benefits and features does a PRI line have over a T1 and vice versa ?
> I learned a little about the use of DIDs with PRI. Does DIDs apply to
> voice T1s ?

AFAIK The Digium cards support basically every single type of common T1
delivery, including 'feature group' D in-band and a few other in-band
signals.  Lots of options.

> HELP !
>
> A link to a good article will be appreaciated as well as someones
> explanation.

Your best bet, if you're provisioning an office is to go with ISDN PRI, it
will do what you want.