[Asterisk-Users] GSM phones, bluetooth and general happiness

Nate Carlson natecars at natecarlson.com
Thu Sep 30 06:43:28 MST 2004

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Nick Barnes wrote:
> And I've added my potential contribution too.
>
> Just a thought though - the places where this would be really useful
> would be in offices where the * box is in a comms room somewhere.

Ah, yes, so it would grab calls from a person's cell phone and forward it
to their office phone? Hadn't even thought of that one.  :)

> What's the best way of picking up a bluetooth signal anywhere in the
> office? Is there some sort of standard for BT amplification, bridging,
> relaying (or whatever the terminology is) etc.?

It's a 2.4ghz signal, and you can buy USB dongles that support external
antennas, similar to 802.11b/g. A google search does turn up people using
external antennas to extend the range, so it should be possible. There may
also be a standard for long-distance bluetooth comms that I'm not familiar
with.