[Asterisk-Users] Newbie 2 PBX VOIP, protocol ?'s using Cisco 827 7910

Julien Goodwin asterisk-lists at studio442.com.au
Tue Sep 28 22:19:20 MST 2004

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 12:42:38AM -0400, William L. Thomson Jr. arranged a set of bits into the following:
> I am replacing a dead pbx with *. There are four lines I will be using.
> There is a Cisco 827-4v already in place so I will move the lines from
> the pbx to it.
>
> I am working with Cisco 7910 phones and I understand they use the
> Skinny/SCCP protocol. I am not sure if I should use chan_skinny or
> chan_sccp?
(chan_sccp developer hat on)
Chan_sccp, it supports more features of the phones (and several more are
on the way if I can find someone in Australia (pref Melb) who can loan
me a 79XX phone for a few weeks to debug them)

> However my main question is with communication. Do I need to use the
> same protocol between the Cisco 827-4v and *, as I am using between *
> and the 7910 phones?
No, asterisk can protocol and codec convert.

> I read through the pdf docs and looked around but in this situation I
> assume all traffic and etc will go through *?
Yep, asterisk can be set up so that isn't the case but for reliability
reasons that usually isn't done.

> Or will it just talk to * in the loop and use the Skinny/SCCP to talk to
> the router.
>
> Now I have come across
> http://www.loligo.com/asterisk/cisco/827-4v/cisco-827-4v-with-asterisk-version1
>
> Which seems to use SIP between the router and *. Not sure if they were
> using SIP to communicate to the phones or not.
Router <--SIP--> Asterisk <--SCCP--> Phones
Hope that helps

> Please excuse my ignorance in this matter I am a newbie to PBX, VOIP,
> and *. There is allot to take in at once and I am doing what I can.
Well, you've at least tried to ask intellegent and reasonable questions.