[Asterisk-Users] SER + Asterisk

Christopher L. Wade clwade at sparco.com
Tue Sep 28 06:51:15 MST 2004

Marconi Rivello wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've seen people using SER with Asterisk. I took a look at SER
> website, and I didn't see the point in using it, since Asterisk
> already handles SIP very well (apparently, at least).
>
> But, as I'm starting, and some of you (more experienced) use it, I
> know that there's something there... So I would like to know why to
> use SER. Is it because of scalability, performance, easier
> administration, or what? And, if it is better, then why to use
> Asterisk with it? Is it because of PSTN and/or IAX2 access, or the
> voicemail, IVR, meetme and such?
>
> Thanks,
> Marconi.

I know this may be a stupid question, but I would love to know the
answer to it.  This question was posted earlier this month with
apparently no replies.  Exactly why would you combine SER with Asterisk?
  Like the OP said, Asterisk already handles SIP, and seems to do a good
job of it, so why use SER?

Thanks,
Chris

--
Christopher L. Wade                     Unistar-Sparco Computers, Inc.
Senior Systems Administrator                            dba Sparco.com