[Asterisk-Users] Brand New to List, requesting assistance

Tue Sep 28 00:42:19 MST 2004

Chris Shaw wrote:
> Except for coLinux is not quite as easy as it seems... It is a complete
> Linux OS running as a process in windows, that's the extent of windows'
> involvement. It won't help you set up *, it won't help you understand Linux
> and you still have to set up * .conf files... you still have to make sure
> that things are set up properly... I don't see it as being any easier, just
> more cumbersome and complicated... It may make you feel all warm and fuzzy
> that windows is there to hold your hand, but it's a false sense of
> security...

You're almost certainly right, *unless* Astwind has a fully automated
installation and configuration utility/install-wizard.

In any event, for somebody not familiar with Unix/Linux nor Asterisk
who would like to get started fast and easy, there is always MacOSX.
Unlike Windoze, Asterisk does run natively on MacOSX and the Asterisk
installation package for MacOSX installs Asterisk at the click of a
button within 10 seconds (on a G4 Powerbook 867MHz. The Asterisk
Assistants for MacOSX let any newbie do a basic configuration within a
few minutes.

And Mac hardware doesn't have to be expensive either. An old first
generation CRT iMac with 160MB RAM will run the latest release of
MacOSX just fine (but don't expect to be doing any video edition on
it) and it will make a fine Asterisk server. Shouldn't cost more than
50-100 USD, depending on where you live. With a bit of luck you can
find somebody who has got one with a malfunctioning CRT (typically due
to a fried capacitor in the power supply) and wants to throw it away.
Pick it up for free, then fix the power supply or transplant the iMac
mobo into an Intel PC case. Use an FXO gateway for PSTN connectivity.

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.