[Asterisk-Users] Re: Asterisk-Users Digest, Vol 2, Issue 281

Daryl Hunt dhunt at i70west.com
Mon Sep 27 13:52:03 MST 2004

Now that most of you have worked overtime to show why most people are
continually pissed at Nix Users (all except two of course).  The problem I
can see is the downright technosnobbery involved.  There is nothing wrong
with Linux.  I play around with RH9 and FreeBSD and find that most things
run fine. But you get into a problem where it keeps asking for the same
blamed libraries over and over on installations and you know danged well you
have them installed.   The fire axe starts looking mighty good right about
then.  Of course, fdisk /mbr works just as well.

I have a Windows 2000 Server that's been online continuous for 6 months with
no reboot.  It stays at less than 7% useage no matter what it is doing and
always gives back every ounce of the Ram after a task.  It's running on a
crappy 400 AMD Processor, has only 512meg of Ram and handles over 2000 Email
Accounts on an aftermarket Email Server.  (only an idiot uses Microsludges
SMTP/POP Server).  It's not broke and I don't fix it.

Anytime you fiddle with any machine, it's going to need to be rebooted.  And
this includes Windows and Linux both.  Anyone not being able to setup a
decent Windows Server needs to run something else or just get used to
rebooting.  I don't feel that need.

Most of what I have read (Ron stated the truth though) is that most have
troubles with Windows Servers. Probably due to the fact you monkey with it
AFTER it's setup.  Of course, the Setup only means running the Windows
Server Kernel and not any of the crappy Microsludge Daemons.  Like Linux,
Windows does not have to accept the garbage that comes in the package.  It
does take one awhile to find the Daemons that should be kept.  When you find
it, you gaurd it jealously.  Since there are so many attacks on windows
systems, we don't even tell you what we really run.  But I don't have a
single Microsludge Daemon running on ANY of the servers.

BTW, Microsoft has a VOIP on the back burner.  So don't believe that Nix is
the only flavor. It's just that Windows is about 2 years behind on
Opensource.

So how about let's not do the technosnobbery anymore.  It's stupid for both
sides.  In fact, we all are supposed to be on the same side.

Now that I have gone out of MY way to piss off people, now, back to my
original question

What is a good Client to use on a Windows Machine.

Thanks Ron and Nathan.  While you didn't help me with the problem, you were
quite civil.

------------------------------

From: "Jay Milk" <jay at skimmilk.net>

You installed Asterisk on Windows?  Could you describe that process for
the rest of us; chances are you missed something obvious (like
Asterisk's incompatibility with Windows) and maybe what you mean by
"install" isn't the same as how others use the word.

Heads up though, you're going to need a Linux machine.

You installed Asterisk on Windows?  Could you describe that process for
the rest of us; chances are you missed something obvious (like
Asterisk's incompatibility with Windows) and maybe what you mean by
"install" isn't the same as how others use the word.

Heads up though, you're going to need a Linux machine.
---------------------------

Taken from Digium's website:

 "ASTERISKT NOW AVAILABLE FOR MICROSOFTT WINDOWST PLATFORM"

 http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=astwind

-nathan

------------------------------

Message: 9
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:48:23 -0400
From: "Michel R. Vaillancourt" <michel.vaillancourt at webhelp.com>

Hello!  I am new to both the list and to "*".  Can someone direct me to
some documentation concerning the reporting tools available for use with
"*" as a call-center system?  Specifically, things like ACD offer/taken,
wrap-time, and such?  Thanks very much.

This looks like an exciting project.  I'm looking forward to playing
with it!

--
Michel R Vaillancourt
Avaya Phone, UNIX Systems & Cansec Security Admin

------------------------------

From: "Henry Devito" <hdevito at qwest.net>

I believe he is referring to astwind it runs on colinux that is installed on
windows.  This does no support any hardware yet.  So without lines it is
useless to me other than for demo purposes.

 http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=astwind

-nathan

To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit:

------------------------------

From: "Chris Shaw" <chriss at watertech.com>
mmmmm I can see it now.... The linux kernel having to ask permission from
the windows kernel to take over an interrupt... but the windows kernel is
too bogged down with a buffer overflow exploit or sending spam to everyone
in the universe... Or worse! You're in the middle of a call and windows asks
you to restart!!

No thank you... I think coLinux is awesome but why in god's name would
anyone want to install asterisk on windows???

    -Chris

From: "Henry Devito" <hdevito at qwest.net>
I agree totally,  Windows is more like a virus operating system.  I don't
believe you will anything from running any linux apps on windows.  The way
most people envision windows is point and click.  But as we all know that is
not the case if you are running colinux.  It still comes down to file
configurations.  Even if they were able to get the hardware interrupts
handled correctly it would never be as stable as Red Hat or any of the other
UX flavors out there.

Message: 15