[Asterisk-Users] Brand New to List, requesting assistance

Chris Shaw chriss at watertech.com
Mon Sep 27 08:22:01 MST 2004

>I would only guess that it is the relative ease of setting up something to
>run on Windows vs. how complex it can be to install on linux.  For the
>average non-linux computer user, getting CVS set up, then getting the
>source, along with all of the prerequisites, then building the packages,
>using modprobe, etc. is really quite an undertaking.  I run * on linux, but
>if I were not familiar with linux, I can certainly see how somebody would
be
>intimidated by undertaking the install on linux.

  -Ron

Except for coLinux is not quite as easy as it seems... It is a complete
Linux OS running as a process in windows, that's the extent of windows'
involvement. It won't help you set up *, it won't help you understand Linux
and you still have to set up * .conf files... you still have to make sure
that things are set up properly... I don't see it as being any easier, just
more cumbersome and complicated... It may make you feel all warm and fuzzy
that windows is there to hold your hand, but it's a false sense of
security...

I'm not arrogant enough to assume that "Everybody just knows Linux" I
realize that it's overwhelming when you've been living in a windowed
world...
I remember being overwhelmed when I first installed RedHat, I didn't know
what the hell /etc or /dev was, the fact that my C: and D: drives were gone
and I had to learn a whole new set of commands just to list a directory
scared the hell out of me... but then I began playing with it and got more
familiar with it, I used the excellent HOWTOS and help resources that people
have worked so hard to contribute and finally I became comfortable enough
with it that I use it now as my desktop operating system and windows is only
for playing games...

    My 0.02, I've given so many that everyone should be rich by now...

    -Chris