[Asterisk-Users] Digium and mailing lists

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Mon Sep 27 05:30:49 MST 2004

Steve Underwood [steveu at coppice.org] wrote:
> Using G.729 without a licence in most of the world's countries is illegal.

Not so.  What you say is only true in countries that allow software
patents.  Countries that don't have any restriction on the freedom of
ideas, mathematics and business processes etc. would allow the use of
G.729 without having to pay the monopolist's tax.

You seem to be confusing the USA with the free world.

Using Intel's runtime library without an appropriate license would be
a problem.  I seem to remember that if someone was to buy a development
license from Intel (quite cheap), that person/entity could then freely
distribute runtime binaries based upon their development(s), and would be
free to publish their own source in any event.

I imagine that Intel probably have a couple of lawyers on staff.  Have
you not wondered how they are allowed to get away with distributing a
G.729 implementation in their library?  That's right, it's up to the
end user to pay the tax - if liable for it at all.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz