[Asterisk-Users] Digium and mailing lists

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sun Sep 26 19:22:53 MST 2004

steve wrote:

>I do not believe that the usage of G729 that is unlicensed is illegal.  It
>is now been released in the general public domain.   The law in the US
>states that it is the duty of the trademark or patent owner to take action.
>If that owner does not take action then they lose their interest.
>
>Title 17 USC is quite clear on this subject.   Digium is a very good company
>and their president is some one that I have a great deal of respect for.
>
>However, Digium under Title 17 can not protect those INTELLECTUAL
>PROPERTY RIGHTS granted to the owners.   Digium is nothing more than an
>agent for the owner and under Title 17 and Title 18 USC are not in a
>position to protect anything.
>
>For more information on this matter, I would suggest that you contact a
>licensed attorney that is qualified in INTELLECTUAL
>PROPERTY RIGHTS.
>

>By the way, I am an attorney.
>

>Steve
>Steve at 17q.com

Can you tell us which law firm? I'm sure we would all like to avoid it
like the plague. Trademarks must be vigorously defended in a timely
manner, according to the law in many countries, including the US.
Patents aren't like that. It is perfectly legal, and widespread
practice, to keep a patent in obscurity, and let use of it become
widespread and irreversible. Then you spring it on people, like a
highway robber jumping out from the bushes, and law says that's OK.

Using G.729 without a licence in most of the world's countries is illegal.

Regards,
Steve