[Asterisk-Users] Digium and mailing lists

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sun Sep 26 22:35:47 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 00:16, steve wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I am not giving you legal advice, first because you are not my client and
> second because I have not been retained (PAID) to offer an opinion.
>
> However, I didn't make up the law, it is what it is.  There are many cases
> regarding losing your rights as a Patent or trademark holder.  Furthermore,
> the PTO (United States Patent and Trademark office) has rules relating to
> this subject which are all contained in the USC (United States Federal
> Codes)

Lets see, I remember in fairly recent times(not neccessarily recent by
net time standards) a story about the compression being used in GIF
files. I remember that one of the patent holders decided to make claims
and collect royalties. I remember some paying and others removing
support. I don't remember a challenge to the patents validity at that
time. I only remember the unease for about a year or two until the
patent expired.