[Asterisk-Users] Digium and mailing lists

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sun Sep 26 20:17:12 MST 2004

Craig Guy wrote:

>So when does the patent on G.729 expire anyway?  If its only a matter of a
>year or so I am quite happy to wait.  I'd like to experiment with the codec
>but I'm not gonna pay 'protection money' for doing so, well not unless there
>is no other way.
>
>Craig

There isn't one patent. There are many, so they expire at different
times. I believe the most recently granted one was granted in about
1999. The duration of a patent differs a little between countries, but
is in the range of 15 to 20 years. You aren't going to use an
unencumbered G.729 any time soon. :-)

Regards,
Steve