[Asterisk-Users] how to put extension on hold? using h323 phones and gnu gatekeeper

Maros RAJNOCH ml_asterisk-users at rajnoch.sk
Fri Sep 24 08:00:55 MST 2004

Hi everybody,

I have still problem with setting-up asterisk.
I use asterisk with gnu gatekeeper and h323 phones.

I read lots of much documents, but there's no any reference to
setting-up "how to put on hold an incomming call".

I mean:
1.) somebody call me from PSTN (via my ISDN BRI card in asterisk);
2.) asterisk routes this call to gatekeeper and finaly I pick up call by
    my h323 phone.

and now I have problem with:

3.) I need to put actual call on hold (which key combination to use?, or
    where can I specify them?, which config file?)
4.) call my colleague (my colleague has another h323 phone) to
    sad him, that my current call is actually for him
5.) I hang-up my h323 phone, and in this moment my colleague has call on
    his line.

You know, that this is absolutely trivial thing, and any PBX supports
them; maybe it's so trivial, that it needs not any note in any manual.
but I try to do it last two weeks, without any success. I am quite
frustrated and my boss too.

In my old pbx I do all these things like:
1) somebody call me to my phone1
2) I pick-up call and want to forward it to my colleague with phone2
3) I dial 'flash' and in this moment I put current call on hold
4) I dial extension e.g. '22' so now I'm calling my colleague
5) My colleague pick up phone2 and I sad to him, I have somebody on
   line, who want to talk with him
6) I hung up my phone1 and in this moment my colleague has previous call
   on his line.

* Is there anybody to help me with my problem?
* Any step-by-step manual?
* Eventually, is there any hack in 'hold on mechanism' in using it with
  gatekeeper and h323 phones?

Thank you very much for any help.