[Asterisk-Users] viewing fax tiffs?

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Thu Sep 23 15:47:57 MST 2004

I had troubles with tiff2ps as well.

I use the following script:

#
#	Filename:	aster-fax.sh
#
#	Version:	000
#
#	Edit date:	08-Jun-2004
#
#	Facility:	Asterisk
#
#	Abstract:	Convert a received fax to PDF and email.
#
#	Environment:	Unix, sh
#
#	Author:		Steven L. Edwards
#
#	Modified by
#
#	000	08-Jun-2004	SLE	Create.
#
# call with:
#	$1 = filename
#	$2 = email address
#	$3 = calleridnum
#	$4 = calleridname
#
# save some arguments
 	BASENAME=$(basename "$1" .tiff)
 	FROM="$3 $4"
 	FULLNAME="$1"
 	PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
 	TO="$2"
#
# convert the TIFF into single page TIFF's
# (tiff2ps's "-a" doesn't seem to work for me.)
 	convert $FULLNAME $BASENAME-%02d.tiff
#
# output the MIME headers, convert the TIFF files to PS to PDF, MIME
# encode it and mail it.
 	(
 	echo "MIME-Version: 1.0"
 	echo "Content-ID: <"`date`">"
 	echo "Content-Transfer-Encoding:  base64"
 	echo "Content-Type:  application/pdf; name=\"$BASENAME.pdf\""
 	echo "Subject: Fax from $FROM"
 	tiff2ps -2 -a -e -h 11 -w 8.5 $BASENAME-[0-9][0-9].tiff\
 		| ps2pdf -\
 		| mimencode -b
 	) | sendmail $TO
#
# (end of aster-fax.sh)

I invoke it in extensions.conf as:

 	exten = h,1,system(/usr/local/bin/aster-fax.sh ${FAXFILE} \
 		example at example.com "${CALLERIDNUM} ${CALLERIDNAME}")

(all on 1 line, of course)

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Matthew Asham wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have spandsp setup to accept incoming faxes and receiving tif files
> via Email.
>
> Using tiff2pdf, or tiff2ps -a2 or even tiffsplit, the last page of the
> fax is cut off and the quality of the text looks "squished".
>
> I "figure" it's a tiff parsing thing, as opposed to a problem with my
> spandsp installation (heh).
>
> Has anyone experienced the same thing, or can anyone recommend a
> "proper" way to convert fax'd tiffs to another format or even a
> multi-page tiff viewer for Linux?
>
> Thanks
>
> Matthew

Thanks in advance,