[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk(OS X) & X-Lite

Tue Sep 21 19:38:35 MST 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 20:40:38 -0400, Kenton Powell <kpowell1 at sva.edu> wrote:
> I'm new to Asterisk and have installed it on OS X. I am trying to use
> an X-Lite softphone to connect through Asterisk to FreeWorld Dialup and
> am not having any luck.
>
> I have looked at several settings pages at voip-info.com but have had
> no luck. I am on a school network which I assume has some security but
> the particulars are unknown as they are not very helpful. It is
> necessary to authenticate each machine through custom perl scripts
> which I believe log MAC addresses; don't know if that poses a problem.
> Additionally, I am using a wireless switch that passes my connection to
> a school server which assigns IP addresses.
>
> I ran both Assistants and have a FreeWorld Dialup number and have
> routed that number to an extension in Asterisk. I cannot connect using
> X-Lite using the following instructions. I keep getting login timeout
> messages.
>
> X-Lite configuration:
> Menu | System Settings | SIP Proxy | default
> Display Name: Full Name
> User Name & Authorization User: <username>
> Password: <secret>
> Domain/Realm: x.x.x.x
> SIP Proxy: x.x.x.x
>
> x.x.x.x = IP address of Asterisk
>
> Are the username and authorization user the same name or number
> provided from FreeWorld Dialup or is one from the Asterisk setup? I
> assume that the IP address of Asterisk is the IP of the Mac with
> Asterisk installed.
>
> Has anyone successfully configured Asterisk on OS X with FreeWorld
> Dialup? Do I need to use an outbound proxy? If so, how do I configure
> that?

If you have used the FWD Assistant, it will have configured your
Asterisk server to use FWD through IAX, not SIP. Since you seem to be
behind NAT and a firewall, using IAX is a good idea anyway. IAX is NAT
friendly, SIP is not.

As far as your X-Lite connecting to Asterisk goes, I presume X-Lite
and Asterisk are running on different Macs, is that correct?

If so, you need to find out if that wireless bridge you're talking
about uses NAT between your X-Lite Mac and your Asterisk Mac. SIP
doesn't work well with NAT and that is probably the reason why you
can't get through to your Asterisk Mac. You could download iaxComm (an
IAX softphone - link on the MacOSX page of the Wiki at
www.voip-info.org) and again use IAX instead of SIP.

In any event, if you want to use Asterisk as a "VoIP Hub" instead of
connecting to FWD directly from your softphone, then the chain would
be like this ...

[softphone]---internal extension--->[asterisk]---FWD number--->[FWD]

Wherever there is NAT between two points in the chain, you are saving
yourself a lot of trouble if you use IAX instead of SIP for that
particular connection, but you don't necessarily have to use the same
protocol all the way. Asterisk can translate between SIP and IAX for
you.

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.