[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7905G

Wiley E. Siler wsiler at e2020inc.com
Tue Sep 21 15:25:30 MST 2004

See my post of a few moments ago and you have hit on the exact reason I
will not use Cisco beyond my firewall (a purchase you will never regret
if you need a good firewall).  Cisco makes arguably some of (if not
totally) the best equipment out there. I just have one problem.

Their licensing model is such that you can buy their product, at a
premium price too mind you, ant then you have to pay MUCH extra for a
support contract just to get images and just about everything else you
need.  That lead me to alternatives.  Polycom, SNOM, Grandstream are
just a few and each good based upon certain criteria (price vs. looks
vs. performance, etc, etc).

My personal choice is Polycom.  Polycom IP300 phones are excellent if
you do not need speaker phone.  IP500 is excellent with all the features
you may want.  Go to the IP600 and you get a minibrowser though the
benefit is arguable.  My IP500s perform extremely well and the
featureset is excellent.

As before, phone choice is very preferential and what I like may be
totally hated by someone else.  However, in my opinion, the
dollar/performance/presentation ration of these phones is excellent.
Not to mention that the SIP images are available online as released
instead of regulated the same way Cisco is.  I just cannot bring myself
to pay the Cisco premium for hardware then have to give them even more
money for the things I need to make THEIR hardware work right.  That
would just seems like Cisco is sticking it to me too much...

$0.02

Wiley

PS.  I have done my best to express that this is MY preference so be
sure to weight all the opinions you find.  Many have extremely good
results using the Cisco phones and can justify the cost thusly.  My
enterprise just isn't built on that large a budget.