[Asterisk-Users] Newbie has a few basic questions please.

Daryll Strauss daryll.strauss at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 13:06:26 MST 2004

For what you want to do asterisk isn't really the right solution.
Asterisk is a PBX. It doesn't provide a way for you to connect to the
PSTN.

To do what you want, you need to buy VOIP service from any of the
providers (broadvoice, vonage, packet8, etc). They will provide you a
device that you connect to your broadband connection and a analog
telephone and it lets you make calls to anyone on the PSTN. They  all
have a some sort of unlimited calling plan that might save you money
calling your family.

You said you wanted the phone connected to your Linux box. Why? From
what you describe as your goal, that's not necessary.

You also asked, about the purpose of Asterisk. Once you've got a
connection to the PSTN (VOIP service, a card in your linux box, or a
gateway box of some sort) Asterisk can be useful. It would let you
plug one or more phone lines into your Linux box and have multiple
extensions. It can provide voicemail and voice menu systems. It can do
call logging and monitoring. All useful stuff, but none of it lets you
call the PSTN for free.

- |Daryll