[Asterisk-Users] Newbie has a few basic questions please.

Wiley E. Siler wsiler at e2020inc.com
Mon Sep 20 12:45:12 MST 2004

Bruce,

Using a POTS line local with * will get you the same net result as
having the POTS line only.  You will be using VoIP internal and passing
your calls off to the * box to have it dial like a normal phone.  So, no
IP packets move past the box over a POTS line.  That is a pretty useful
feature for someone in my situation where I needed to get a PBX in place
using available infrastructure (we had the POTS and didn't want to pay
for an upgrade to a PRI T1). I just connected up my lines and use my *
like a PBX.

So, if you want to use VoIP exclusively, you would need to pass all your
traffic over an internet connection.  In theory, I think you can use a
digium card with an fxs to connect up an analog phone to the * box.
Then you would just route the call out of your data connection to
someone like IAXtel (http://www.iaxtel.com) where you have registered
yourself and your parent's * box.  The call would pass to their VoIP
connection and handoff to whatever their * box had connected (analog
phones, SIP, whatever).

Peruse the Digium website FAQ and you should come up with lots of
different info regarding what you can do.

Thanks,