[Asterisk-Users] Setting time on ADSI phones from Asterisk

Jayson Vantuyl kagato at chaosium.net
Mon Sep 20 06:58:11 MST 2004

On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 08:21:21PM -0700, TC wrote:
> but at this point with inexpensive 480i ip phones starting to come on the
> market why bother
> using adsi to build an interface/app on the icd display
> its soooooooooooooo slow compared to ip based phones  480i and the memory is
> so limited
> its like stuffing an elephant in a phone booth to make an interesting adsi
> apps ...
FWIW, before we can do ADSI-like functions on the 480i-s, we'll probably
need a proper MGCP Media Gateway implementation in *.  I'd like to get this
rolling, as I'm currently implementing a Call Agent for just that
purpose.  We currently half implement a Call Agent and I don't think *
ever really wants to be a full Call Agent, so being a Media Gateway
probably is the best option (and it should work pretty well with the
current architecture of *).

The specific issue has to do with the screen-programmability (i.e. the
biggest value of ADSI for * deployments).  There doesn't appear to be
(and doesn't seem like there will be) a way to program the 480i screen
via SIP.  MGCP, on the otherhand, is an IETF protocol and there is an
RFC on how to do their screen programming.  It's done in XML (which is
awfully sexy considering telephony usually isn't that way).

Mind you, Megaco is the officially blessed protocol...but everyone seems
to be going MGCP (probably because Cisco did it early).

Rambling aside, ADSI->480i->proper MGCP.  Take note.

--
Jayson Vantuyl
Computing Edge, Inc.