[Asterisk-Users] Effectively using a telco Type 102 Milliwatt Test line with ztmon itor -v to set txgain/rxgain in zapata?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Sep 20 04:28:58 MST 2004

> I am trying to obtain optimum gain settings for a bank of analog lines
> connected to a channel bank. My telco has provided a 'Type 102' test line to
> use for incoming level calibration. This is functionally equivalent to app
> Milliwatt(), but provides tone from the CO inwards.
>
> Question is, how should one use this a 0dbm test source with ztmonitor? Am I
> correct in understanding that a 0dbm level should provide a 100% drive in
> the level monitor, not a 50% drive as is otherwise 'optimum' for regular
> voice traffic?

The ztmonitor app is a relative indicator and is not actually calibrated
to anything.

If your play in the telephony marketspace, then purchase a transmission
test set that can display levels, etc. They are made by several different
companies and range in price from about $300 for a simple analog test
set (looks almost like a voltmeter), to well over $3k for fancy ones that
have dsl test modes, etc. Triplett (www.triplett.com) makes several
different models of which the model 4 & 5 have a tone generator that
can be somewhat useful as well. Lots of other sources for the same.