[Asterisk-Users] Medium volume 100% SIP/IAX PBX.

Nick Bachmann asterisk at not-real.org
Sun Sep 19 15:10:27 MST 2004

Marconi Rivello <marconirivello at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I have a curiosity: how much does a regular PBX system cost? I'm
> curious if using IP telephony in a building is cheaper than a regular
> PBX, because of the high cost of the IP phones.

Take a look at
http://www.buyerzone.com/telecom_equipment/phone_systems/buyers_guide7.html.
As the article pointed out, TCO is important as well.  Commercial PBXs
usually require technicians with special software and training that can
run >US$100/hr.  If you already have a sysadmin, the savings in labor
alone can pay for an * system over a few years.
The prices for cards and software modules can add up quick as well... even
if you could get a cheap NEC/Panasonic/Nortel/Avaya for the same cost as
an IP-PBX, you'd basically have a featureless switch with featureless
telephones.  At that point, you might as well call up the local telco and
get Centrex service.
Figure that very nice IP phone can be had for around $250, and nice * box
can be built with dual processors for about $3000 that can handle 30
users.  That equates to about $350/user for a somewhat over-provisioned
all-VoIP setup.  That's far less than buying a $900/user PBX.
Nick