[Asterisk-Users] English vs American voice files

Linus Surguy linus at magrathea-telecom.co.uk
Sun Sep 19 01:04:13 MST 2004

> I've spent the afternoon recording all the files for the English speaking
> VM etc. I've parked the file here http://www.g7ltt.com/VoIP/vmukmale.tgz
>
> I did it with Audacity at 44.1KHz x 16bit and thenused sox to raise the
> levels to -3db and then again to down sample them into 8KHz GSM files. The
> few that I've listened to sound fine.

Hi Mark,

If you're going to publish these for public use it would be great if you
could make them available in two versions, both the Asterisk 'standard' .gsm
format, but also either in 8KHz/8bit/alaw raw or wav and/or 32Kbit ADPCM
format - these do give a noticable increase in quality for local/PSTN users
of telephony applications over GSM format. Either that, or if you could make
the original 44.1K 16bit masters available so others could create the
alternatives.

Unfortunatly *'s ability to play these cleanly seems a bit broken at the
moment, but at least we'll have them for when its fixed!

Linus