[Asterisk-Users] Transferring Calls

Alex Forrow alex at seek-it.co.uk
Fri Sep 17 06:13:23 MST 2004

We have set up an IP telephoney system hosted by Asterisk and its working
pretty well. We primarily use SIP and hardware IP phones. We have the
ability to transfer calls to another SIP phone using either the "Transfer"
button on the phone (these phones are Grandstream BudgeTone 100s) or using
the "#" key (the T/t flag must be set in the Dial command in asterisk for
this way to work).

Both methods seem similar; you enter the number and it transfers. The
problems arise when the phone that it is transfered to is Busy or there is
no answer: Asterisk just hangs up. Instead of this behaviour, we would
like it to return the call to the person that transfered it.

Alternativley, it could just do a 3 way call or something until the
original person hangs up?

I can't believe there is no way to achieve this. I have looked all over
the internet but I can't find anything about this.

 From an Asterisk context point of view, the transfered call looks like a
new call, and as far as i can see there is no way to differentiate between
a new call and a transferred one. I know asterisk can tell the difference
because the phone sends a "REFER" datagram to initate the transfer.

Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks,

Alex Forrow

Seek-it