[Asterisk-Users] Beyond T1

Marcelo Pacheco marcelo at macp.eti.br
Thu Sep 16 09:52:05 MST 2004

I'm no E1 expert, but as I understand one channel is wasted with framing, so
it is as 2048000 bps link, where one 64000 bps channel is wasted with
signalling. So there's 31 channels left. If you use E&M, FXS or FXO, you
could get 31 voice channels, with PRI or MFC/R2D you get 30 voice channels.

I now that from the fact that a full E1 with EuroISDN gives you 30 voice
channels.

An a full E1 with Brazilian R2D also gives you 30 voice channels, as one
channel is used for signalling as CAS (Channel Associated Channeling), where
each 4 bits is used for each channel.

The only situation where you get closer to actual 2mbps out of an E1 channel
is when you run SyncPPP, Frame Relay or another bit synchronous protocol on
the full trunk/link, where you throw away the channelling and use the whole
link as one big synchronous bit pipe.

Marcelo Pacheco