[Asterisk-Users] Beyond T1

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Sep 16 09:26:02 MST 2004

On Thursday 16 September 2004 12:17, Andrew Thompson wrote:
> Depending on where you using the circuits, you might try an E1. It uses
> the same total bandwidth as a T1(I think), but splits the channels at
> 56K instead of 64K, yielding more channels. (And now I can't remember
> the number.)

uh, no.  This is definitely NOT correct.

T1 is 24 8-bit channels + 1 framing bit sent 8000 times a second.  24*8+1 =
193 bits per frame * 8000 = 1554000bps.

E1 is 32 8-bit channels + 1 framing bit sent 8000 times a second.  32*8+1 =
2056000bps.

(my E1 knowlege is poor, I hope I am not furthering the misinformation here)

In both cases you get 64kbit clean channels unless you're doing robbed-bit
(inband) signalling.

-A.