[Asterisk-Users] E3 PCI Cards

Thu Sep 16 08:45:55 MST 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 11:03:48 -0400, Noah Miller <noah at rosecompanies.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone have * running on PPC?
>
> http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk%20MacOSX%20Support
>
> Specifically for OS X.  There's a download link.  The problem still is
> that no one has written ppc drivers for the Digium cards.  As I
> understand, the only drivers are for GNU/Linux on i386.

That's not entirely correct. The Zaptel drivers work on LinuxPPC.

Further, there is some work in progress on Zaptel drivers for BSD and
some folks use X100P and TDM400 on FreeBSD already. Since OSX is BSD
based, it will eventually benefit from the work done to bring Zaptel
to BSD. We have made an Xserve available for Rich Murphey, one of the
main contributors to the Asterisk on BSD effort, specifically for him
to test things on OSX.

What's needed is more contributors to the BSD effort, or so it would
seem. Since driver development requires skills that are less common
than those required for many other development tasks, there are fewer
people who can do it. It also takes more time to move drivers from one
platform to another. I think a sponsorship fund could do some good
because it might give somebody the ability to work fulltime on drivers
for BSD in general and OSX in particular.

I believe that it should be possible to raise significant sponsorship
funds for drivers (especially for OSX) from end user donations alone.
In order to do that, a few people need to come together, think about
how to organise this, set up a website, open a kagi and/or paypal
account and get the word out. I am discussing this idea at present
with some Mac folks who seem to be willing to put a bit of time and
effort into this. Anybody who would like to join in on this, please
contact me directly.

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.