[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 79xx + asterisk + some functions Q

Craig Guy cguy at bigpond.net.au
Thu Sep 16 01:32:53 MST 2004

Just some more information regarding the 7914 addon for the 7960 phone.  The
7914 requires upgraded firmware to be able to work with a 7960 of firmware
5.x or above.  Do not upgrade the firmware of your 7960 above 5.x until you
have done your 7914 first as you cannot downgrade the Cisco to a pre 5.X
version in order to flash the 7914.

I was experimenting with chan_sccp2 as it is claimed to have 7914 support.
I got the 7960 working ok with chan_sccp2 but was unable to get the 7914
going and could find no information on getting it working aside from
references to it and a screenshot on the sourceforge site.  I also found the
chan_sccp2 module to be reliable but not robust.  For example pressing a
speeddial button whilst on a call would bring down *, taking the handset
offhook and leaving it offhook would also bring down *.

In the end I have gone with the SIP image and am using the Flash Operators
Panel which IMHO offers better functionality anyway.  It is also cheaper to
buy a 15" LCD panel and secondary display adapter, mounting the panel next
to the users workstation than it is to buy the 7914 (Which for us cost more
than the 7960 itself!)  The Flash Operators Panel also has the ability to
'monitor' an extension and then launch a URL when a call comes in.

Craig