[Asterisk-Users] Sending Caller ID info in MD/USA

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Wed Sep 15 18:15:05 MST 2004

steve at szmidt.org wrote:

> On Wednesday 15 September 2004 01:02 am, Thomas Gallaway wrote:
>
> It entirely depends on how that carrier deals with caller ID. Usually you
> would not be able to set your own, as it's done by their equipment. It would
> just ignore yours.

On a PRI I've never had a carrier, ILEC, CLEC, not-LEC-at-all, *not*
expect me to provide the number I want to use for the source of the
call.  After all, many applications require many DIDs to be in service
on a single PRI, and the carrier has no idea which one the call is
"from" unless your PBX, soft switch, etc., tells them.  Now, some of
them will block anything other than the DIDs you've paid them for on
that PRI, but that's a different story.

(I say the above fully expecting that someone can tell me about an
exception.)

> Being this is usually only handed over to them by other TELCOs, it's pretty
> much a new issue, and not something they are really prepared for.

And all those little PBXs sitting in closets all over the land....  PRIs
are not exactly a new product for end-user use.

> Everything could start falling to pieces if that does not work as all the
> billing is based on identifying who is calling whom.

Which is exactly why any carrier with their act even mildly together
also tracks the BTN (billing telephone number) of the PRI, based on the
circuit your call comes in on, no matter what you claim as the source of
the call.

--Jon Radel