[Asterisk-Users] Sending Caller ID info in MD/USA

steve at szmidt.org steve at szmidt.org
Tue Sep 14 23:04:44 MST 2004

On Wednesday 15 September 2004 01:02 am, Thomas Gallaway wrote:
> William C. Lohr Jr. wrote:
> > Marty,
> >
> > My business would own the actual T1, but I may provide an outbound
> > call service for a client and would want their name sent as well as
> > their toll free number and not the local number for the outbound
> > line.  Calls being sent over PRI with Digium card.  Sounds like the
> > PSTN just doesn't forward the name for whatever reason.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bill
>
> Correct me if I am wrong but I think you would need access to a SS7
> switch to send the number that you want it to come from.

It entirely depends on how that carrier deals with caller ID. Usually you
would not be able to set your own, as it's done by their equipment. It would
just ignore yours.

The fact that you sometimes can, they would probably consider a flaw.

Being this is usually only handed over to them by other TELCOs, it's pretty
much a new issue, and not something they are really prepared for.

In other words, they often have resellers. Smaller TELCOs which buy from them
and resell to their customers. So that smaller TELCO would hand over the CID
to the bigger carrier. They would also have a working CID system and the
final end user would never be expected to be in a position to modify it.

Everything could start falling to pieces if that does not work as all the
billing is based on identifying who is calling whom.

Steve